AFTER YOUR SURGERY FAQS
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP PREVENT A POST OPERATIVE INFECTION?
In addition to following the recommendations below, follow your post operative instructions carefully and notify your physician if you have any signs or symptoms which concern you.
Take a shower the night before and the morning of surgery. Follow these simple steps:
- Wash your hair first with any shampoo.
- Wash all of your body using a liquid antibacterial soap and a clean washcloth for each shower.
- Rinse well to remove all soap.
- Dry your body with a clean towel.
- Do not use lotion, cream or powder.
- On the day of your procedure make sure you, your family and any other caregivers wash hands frequently while at the facility and at home following your surgery. Also, do not hesitate to ask members of your health care team at the facility if they have washed their hands!
- After your procedure make sure you, your family and any other caregivers wash their hands frequently. Also, be sure you follow all instructions provided by your health care team regarding the care of your eye as well as the administration of post-operative eye drops.
HOW LONG WILL I STAY AFTER MY PROCEDURE?
The amount of recovery time varies from patient to patient, but the overall time spent in recovery is usually very short. After your procedure, a nurse will monitor your vital signs, make sure you are alert and stable, and review your post-operative instructions. You will also receive a drink and a light snack. Then you will be sent home as soon as your health care team feels it is safe to discharge you from the facility.
MAY I DRIVE HOME?
No. Patients will not be allowed to drive after a procedure and must make necessary transportation arrangements. If you plan to take public transportation from our facility after a procedure, please make sure you are accompanied by a trusted family member or friend.
WILL MY EYE BE PATCHED AFTER MY PROCEDURE?
Your eye will not be patched closed, but will be covered with a clear, plastic shield held in place by paper tape.